Friday, April 10, 2009

Jeannette Teece

Last day of classes today. I really like teaching, but I have to admit that I'm getting more than a bit tired and need a break. I won't actually get to sleep much over the next week; even on the days I can stay home, William will also be home and will want to do stuff. After class today, Janine did her end of term crit, it went well. She's moving towards completing her degree, one step at a time. The end is in sight.
After that, there was a retirement reception for Jeannette Teece. This was really important to attend, we have a lot of history. To begin with, I was good friends with her son Scott for many years, starting in 4th grade (1973-1974). She was always nice. When I got to university, she had just taken on her first job there: she was the secretary for the department of film and video! I took some classes there as electives and often stopped by her office to say hi. She often suggested that I should change majors. When my interest in computers wained, the seed she planted took root and I changed majors. 15 years later I was hired to teach there full time. Jeannette left the film department after a couple of years and eventually ended up in the faculty of fine arts where she became a cornerstone. During my three years as department head, I rarely made a move without consulting her. I don't know if I could have done that job without her, which is appropriate as I'd never have been in the position to get that job without her.
This evening I forgot about work for a while and played with Lego. I assembled Lego people for a couple of hours: see post on William's blog.

No comments: