Saturday, March 4, 2017

Gerald Saul dot com

Saturday. I spent most of the day trying to get my website working again (see below). Once that was done, we slipped out for a short while to see Kristin MacPherson's cyanotypes on fibrous papers of people's tattoos. Cool. Homemade donuts made it extra special.

For those who might not know, I've had a website for the past 15 or so years. Felipe designed the first version, which was excellent, but at the time I only had about one third of my content ready for him and by the time I had the rest ready, he no longer had the time. It sat like that for a year or two until one of my grad students, Fazail, wanted to work on it. Again, this seemed to go very well except that I said yes too many times. One of the times was when he asked if it was okay to design the whole thing if Flash. A year later, Fazail had finished his degree and moved away and I had no clue how to update my site. Again, it sat without updates for a year or more. Eventually I decide to try to do it myself. I used the Adobe Dreamweaver software that I owned and started building it one page at a time. Two hundred or so pages later I was able to (with some help) upload it all to the NMSL server, I was even able to add and updated it. That was in 2008. Since then I have taken to updating it regularly. You can always get to it with "www.geraldsaul.com" Last week I was informed that, because the NMSL no longer exists, I would need to move my website. At this point it is probably 400 or more pages long with hundreds of photos and videos. I don't know how to move it. Thankfully the university was able to move it quickly and efficiently to another spot at the university (thanks Ted). All safe and sound.
Bottom line: if any of you reading this have a link to a specific page, you may have to re-set that link. Again, you can find your way in with www.geraldsaul.com but the individual page names are now all different because of the migration from NMSL. If you look at a link you have to me and the letters NMSL are in the heading, then it won't work any more. Actually, it works right now, but eventually it won't. The NMSL version is still there but the new copy is the living one that will be updated. The other will eventually disappear. 

No comments: