Monday, November 2, 2015

Loop Collective screening

Dan Browne and Mike Rollo for Loop Collective screening in Regina
William and I attended the Loop Collective experimental film screening. Dan Browne from Toronto was in attendance and he showed his beautiful hand processed film that was really an accident (not exposed) and had the streaky, painterly quality that one gets when they severely over-agitate in hot chemistry. What I found surprising about it was the range he got between his blacks and whites, something that severely failed rolls of mine rarely have. He tells me that he thinks it was a colour negative stock, probably 100 or 200D. I was also particularly struck with the chaotic beauty of "Jenny Haniver" by Stephen Broomer.
My most uncomfortable time was regarding sound. Who thought that it would be a good idea to run a program of mostly silent films just two days after Halloween? William came with me with a pocket full of cellophane-wrapped candies that he crinkled throughout the program. Oops. 

No comments: