Sunday, May 22, 2016

Akira Kurosawa festival



Over the past 20 weeks, William and I have held our own private Akira Kurosawa film festival. While I did not manage to find every one of his films, I did locate these twenty titles from the university as well as the public libraries. While I have always respected his films, it is not really until this past few months that I really loved his films. Not only his brilliant compositions and stagings, but his sense of time and his whimsical sense of humor. Of course the samurai films are beautiful and amazing, we both found the twisted tales in the contemporary set films to be ultimately more interesting. Here is what we watched (in the order we watched them):
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Hidden Fortress
Rashamon
Ikiru
Sanjuro
The Idiot. (Hakuchi)
High and Low
Throne of Blood
Kagemusha the Shadow Warrior
Ran
Stray Dog
Dersu Uzala
Dreams
Dodes ka den
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
Red Beard
Drunken Angel
Bad Sleep Well
Madadayo

1 comment:

RixelStudios said...

I currently own Sanjuro, yojimbo, seven samurai and the hidden fortress. I'd love to get a hold of a number of those other films including stray dog and rashamon but his films are (fairly) not cheap.