Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Fellini's "Casanova" and Lynch's "Dune"

William and I watched Fellini's "Casanova" with Donald Sutherland in the title role. I didn't know anything about it and didn't have high expectations but was astounded at the strange nature of the costumes, sets, and performances. I was struck by how many times it reminded me of David Lynch's much maligned adaptation of "Dune". I wonder if there was some influence (Fellini's film is 10 years earlier), with both films taking a character through incomprehensible worlds of  decadence. Here are some sample frames (although the frames available online do not encapsulate all that I saw):
Donald Sutherland as Casanova

Characters in Dune

From "Casanova"

From "Dune"

"Hat" in Fellini's "Casanova"

"Hats" in Lynch's "Dune"

No comments: