Thursday, August 22, 2013

City of Bones

creepy, but not from the movie
I took William and his cousins to "Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" for the opening afternoon screening. Kristin was very excited about it, having read it a couple of years ago although was afraid it would stray too far from the book. She was very pleased with the results. I felt that the movie was very well constructed visually with great cinematography and editing and effects. I liked the visual direction, it not only told the story well but also created a strong visual support to emotionally ground the story and characters. I even bought into the script for the first third of the film. However, the dialogue and acting grew increasingly weak, cliche, and corny as the film went on. The love triangle material in the middle was unbearable. I'm glad we went to the "UltraAVX" theatre so that I was able to throw my head back in frustration as the actors spewed out didactic emotional platitudes and exposition between action moments. 

No comments: