Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Took the kids to Woody Allen's "Blue Jasmine" after lunch at the Caraway restaurant

Following lunch at the amazing new restaurant The Caraway Bistro on Broad street (William, pictured below, is trying a Korma lamb dish), 
Margaret, William, his cousins, and I went to the matinee of Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine today. I think I was a bit conscious of intensity of the film and how the 11, 12, and 13 year olds would react to it. The last (and only) Woody Allen film the girls had seen was two years ago when I took them to "Midnight in Paris", which I'd seen before and knew the overall lightness of. William has seen a broader range of films, including about a dozen Allen films, and I knew he would be ready for anything. They seem to have enjoyed it and afterwards repeated Margaret's assessment that the performances were excellent. This avoids talking about the major themes of the films including the inability to adjust to changes in lifestyle, something they might be able to identify with although I'm not sure they would immediately be aware of the comparison. I liked the film a lot although I found it quite frightening, I know that I would be no better at putting my life back together if I lost as much as the Cate Blanchett character lost. 
Anyway, the discussion of the movie was derailed by the shock of walking back outside into 30+ degree heat. We stood around a while and watched a very good bunker singing and playing guitar in front of the the liqueur store. 


No comments: