Sunday, March 5, 2023

Sockvile interlacing problems

 Spotting more and more flaws in Sockvile due to interlacing. I've now put some de-interlacing filters onto all the footage, but the export will take a much longer time now - probably 1.5 to 2 days per half hour section. 


Brett said...

Try flipping the field ordering first, see if that helps. Not sure if you're going from 29.97 to 23.976, but there may be a couple of other things to try, depending.

Gerald Saul said...

Thanks Brett, that did the trick for rendering speed and most of the problems. I still have a few odd moments but I'll play with them one at a time after I finish tweaking the voice tracks into sync. Two big interlace error shots occur when I altered the image by zooming in or rotating it.

Brett said...

Field errors are often the result of frame rate interpolation errors, or two fields "crossing" over between two different frames. You can also try upper or lower field only playback on the file.

Depending on the editing or image manipulation software you're using, there's a precedence applied to effect applications, and sometimes Motion/Scale etc. overrides other attributes. Solution is to either render out the file first with the correct field order and then apply other effects (this is based on you having access to the original camera file rather than the finished master).

If there are still problem areas, I'm happy to take a look if you want to WeTransfer me individual shots.