Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Father's Day is never done

It was a very rainy day so we didn't work on the house this morning as I'd wanted but instead we hung out all morning eating pancakes. William got me the Quintin Blake picture book "Loveykins", which is really wonderful as he's one of my favorites and always a joy to look at (picture of William reading me the book). This afternoon I took my son and my dad to "Up" at the Southland theatre. I was surprised at how sad it was, especially the first third. It might not have been sad for the kids, but it is about the melancholy of getting old and losing touch with your dreams. I had hoped to compare it with Clint Eastwood's "Grand Torino", which I probably still can, but the parallels were not really there beyond the most superficial. I went out this evening, saw Peter Cook's house (happy birthday), ate some cheese and drank some blueberry wine, and when I arrived home I was immediately sent out for ginger ale and paper towels to combat William's bouts of vomit. It looks like the swine flu has hit our household.

No comments: