Saturday, February 21, 2009

finishing up my catch up week?

I finished my light box today, or did I...? The last part I needed was the light itself and for this I was taking a page from Ivan's animation light advice and was installing a piece of foam core with a set of LED lights punched through it. I have been having a hard time finding lights in stock, the summer stock isn't in yet and tall the winter stuff is gone. I eventually realized that the set I needed was in my back yard; I took them down off my gazebo, thawed them, and drilled the necessary holes in my foam core. We were going to go to Moose Jaw today but William is still sick so we didn't. That was fortunate as i was able to take the lights to the office and test them out. It was a disaster! The acid etched glass is still too transparent so the individual lights are still spots of light rather than an overall light. The glass would need to be an additional six inches higher for the light to blur. Some additional mylar did not help. I eventually determined that an addition of a sheet of bond paper would create the even light. Now I'm worried that it will cut out too much of the light. I've got some paper that is big enough but will not likely get to test it until Monday when Caroline Leaf is actually here.