Tuesday, February 24, 2009

yesterday

Yesterday was a big day at work, two very important filmmakers were in town, Caroline Leaf and Mike Hoolboom, to lecture and show work. Not together, it is just coincidental timing that they are here at the same time. We all had lunch together. I reminded Mike of a caustic letter he wrote to me a few years ago that he's forgotten. He pointed out that he sites my thesis on his website when I discuss his seminal film "White Museum". It is now available as an audio-only download, perhaps I'll jog to it (for those of you who know the film, that would be funny as the soundtrack consists only of Mike's voice calmly talking about the nature of sitting in a movie theatre and thinking about how you would prefer to be sitting and having coffee with your friends after the movie to talk about your experience of sitting in the movie theatre). Mike will be talking at the MacKenzie Art Gallery on Wednesday night.
Caroline Leaf showed her work and techniques to my class for 3 hours. After showing her film "Two Sisters" to students for a decade, I finally know how she made it. Caroline will be showing her work at the RPL this Thursday night and will look at other animators works on Saturday at the Filmpool.

No comments: