Saturday, November 21, 2009

driving me crazy

The roads were crazy today. I knew they would be with the big play off game tomorrow AND agribition starting today. However, I still ventured out, driving to the north end dropping Margaret at her Artist Trading Cards session, to the east end to check on Lego advent calendars that were supposed to be at Zellers but are sold out at both stores and to pick up a dozen barbecue pork buns at the Chinese bakery who only bake on weekends now. Then to the south end to investigate supplies of Darren Shan Saga vampire books for William as he burned through the first one over the past few days and is a third of the way through the second one just this evening. The books seem to be available but in short supply and printed in rather shoddy pocketbook form rather than the fairly nicely printed trade paper version he got from the library. With a movie in the theatres (The Vampire's Assistant) I would have thought that there would be a new printing, but no. Chris Scott from Centennial used books thinks that the limited access to distribution may be because they were originally Scholastic books. As usual, she doesn't have any in her store (almost no matter what author I'm looking for, it is extremely difficult for her to get copies of and to keep them in stock). I'm not really believing the Scholastic line either. I think it is a bit mis-marketted here. The covers I've seen are very scary, fitting in with any adult horror book. The british covers are more fanciful for younger readers. (see comparison below).
All told, I must have spent over an hour this afternoon in the car between these places, often behind people stopping at green lights just to be on the safe side. I knew every minute that I would be better off staying home all day. Perhaps tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I lurk and read all your posts, but don't usually comment.

The Darren Shan books are readily available here in the UK. I could send a care package...

Gerald Saul said...

That's very nice of you. I know that the next couple are available from the library and I'm waiting to see if he continues to be interested. William has a strong tendency to judge a book by its cover so if he'd been faced with a real horror cover for the first one, he'd not have read page one. With the neutral cover that i found for the first book, he's begun and is loving the series and is ignoring the covers. However, last night he couldn't sleep, claiming to be scared. Perhaps the genre is too intense for an eight year old?

Unknown said...

As a 40-something year old reader of the books, I find it hard to judge their suitability for an eight year old! It's been a while, but I seem to remember that they do get increasingly tense and intense, though as an adult reader I always trusted that nothing too bad would be allowed to happen in children's lit.

I'm not acutally familiar with that first style of cover. The second cover with the black ground is the style of the editions - also UK - that I own. I also note that there's a manga edition, drawn by Takahiro Arai (who knew).

Anyway, the offer was a genuine one, should you want to take it up at some point.