Friday, June 26, 2009

Vacation day 1 and 2

Yesterday we drove from Regina to Calgary. Actually Margaret did most of the driving. Around one hour in I started feeling really tired and lousy so took a nap. At the A&W in Swift Current we debated going home but William really wanted to keep going and I just wanted to sleep. With a few advil and another three hours of sleep I started feeling okay once we were past Medicine Hat and did drive the last short ways into town and to my sister's house. After supper we went over to the nearby wave pool where William was excited to swim and waterslide. There was tons of renovations going on so I got my nephew to call over to make sure they were open. They said they were, regular hours (which my nephew said was until 10). We paid and changed and went in. While stepping into the water at 8:45 the lifeguard reminded us that the pool was closing at 9:00! They gave us a pass to come back. Actually it was okay since I really just had the energy to swim for 15 minutes anyway, a good break at the end of the day. I went to sleep shortly after we got home and got a decade breaking 10 hours of sleep! I feel better today.

This afternoon we went to Ikea for lunch and to buy a few things then I dropped Margaret, William and Michelle at the mall as I went off to the Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers office where I met with Melony to discuss the films I'll be curating from their collection in August. I got a very good idea but didn't have time to watch them all the way through so I'm taking the main selections back to Regina to watch more carefully to insure they work well together and to write some notes about them. They have screenings from their collection of 16mm films once per month and don't tell anyone what the films will be until they arrive to watch them, nothing but a hint from the screening title. More on that in 5 or 6 weeks.
This evening, against everyone except Margaret's better judgment, we drove half way across Calgary for ice cream. Margaret had found a listing for "Amato Gelato", an Italian ice cream place on Kensington with 38 flavors of gelato and described as the best ice cream in Calgary. It was. Wow, and wow again.

No comments: