Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Kaufman's

Margaret and I noticed this worn out portion of a sign in the warehouse district the other day. We squinted at it for a moment then I realized that it is the Kaufman's sign! This was a discount department store that was open when we were kids. I remember we used to go there about once a month. I can't remember what we ever bought. I do recall sitting on some huge pile of either clothing or bolts of cloth and reading Soupy Sails picture/joke books one time. It has strong and distinct memories but as I was far too young to drive, I never really knew where it was. Now I see that the old Keg moved into it after it closed. I used to go there when I was in university (and perhaps occasionally before that) and it was very happening water hole at night. Now it is artist studios and hair salon and other stuff, much quieter. I bet the old beams in there miss the noise.

No comments: