Tuesday, June 23, 2015

NMSL closing

After over a decade of support to my research, the tragically underfunded New Media Studio Laboratory will be closing next week. This has been announced very suddenly so I do not know exactly what will happen to some of the more specialized equipment such as the 3D scanner and the HD camera. It will be absorbed into the three faculties which supported it initially I assume. Dianne says she will still have a job but her title and duties will be adjusted. My biggest concern is for the grad students who need a facility they can work out of without difficult restrictions; just as a painting student has 24 hour access to their painting studio, so must a media student have access to their tech.
Huge thank you to Sheila Petty who instigated this lab and invited me to be one of the principle investigators back in 2001. It's been great to be a part of and to work with so many interesting colleagues within it over the years. 

No comments: