Monday, October 1, 2007

93

Yesterday Tanya and I went to the Vancouver Art Gallery. We missed the Monet meets Dali show by a few days and were a few days early for the Georgia O'Keeffe show, but there were two good shows on, one on Emily Carr and the Group of Seven which really demonstrated not only her influence but, in my opinion, her superiority to the seven. Her paintings are much more vibrant and breathtaking in person rather than from prints. The other show was a solo show from contemporary American artist Andrea Zittel, whom I was previously unfamiliar. She was looking at living environments, bedroom, kitchen, office, and bathroom and sometimes building portable versions of them that would actually work, boxes that would unfold into completely functional living spaces but could be wheeled down a hallway. On the wall she had written some statements that she "things I know for sure" that Tanya and I both found fascinating.

Flew home last night, very pleased to see Margaret and William again. I spent much of today catching up on things, starting to send out email etc. Luckily I made a list of promises I made and can begin hitting that. I've got a screening of "Brown Christmas with Light" at the ROM in Toronto on Oct 5 and 7 as part of a Canadiana series curated by Larissa Fan. It's a short film with music by Jeff Looysen. This is news upon my return so I've been packaging it up for her but my computer is particularly temperamental today. I don't think I have the processing power or the RAM or perhaps both to handle dvd creation, or even copying. I'm going to start shopping for a new machine.

No comments: